Sunday 29 May 2011

The Sunday Sum-Up and Book Blogger Hop #2

I don't think I've ever been quite so glad to reach the end of the week. I haven't got through quite as many books as I'd planned to, but that's mainly down to an embarrassing addiction to LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean. In fact, I'm sorely tempted to stop updating you on this week's bookly progress, and just post picture after picture of LEGO Captain Jack...

Or not, cause I'd actually like to keep the few followers I have. Anyway, here's this week in a pleasant, listy format.

  • Should you so desire, you can see what's on my wishlist this week by clicking here.

This week I'm reading Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence and then I'm moving on to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I'm so excited to finally read it, I've been dying to get hold of it for weeks now!
 
Book Blogger Hop
"What book-to-movie adaption have you most liked?  Which have you disliked?"

I'm sure many of you will sneer, flip your hair and stomp off in disgust after reading this, but I'll accept the possible punishment of being stabbed by crazed Harry Potter fans because it needs to be said. Those films are awful. 

I've seen every single one of the damn things, and I admit that the later ones have improved, but I've hated them since the beginning.
It's the actors. That's all it is. They couldn't have chosen three worse main characters if they'd tried. If I could choose one actress to shoot in the head it would have to be a young Emma Watson. It is it really necessary to talk with your eyebrows? Or open your mouth so wide bats could safely nest inside?

To be fair, I don't have a problem with her in the later ones. She's much much less annoying since about the third one. I still don't like her but I can deal with it. 

Everything else about the Harry Potter films I like - the settings are beautiful, the supporting characters (especially Alan Rickman) are wonderfully cast and they keep to the plot to an acceptable extent.  It's just....*shudders* her.

Oh yes. Book adaptations I actually like. I'm usually fairly good at thinking of the film and book as separate entities so I don't automatically hate the adaptation like some people.
Lord of the Rings is a good example. I really enjoyed all three films. Answering this question has made me realise how much my opinion is based on how well cast the characters are. I liked LotR mainly because of Aragorn, Gandalf, Frodo... they were all perfect for their roles and could actually, you know... act (that helps in an actor, I've found).

You can join in the Hop too - just click here.
 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Hanna! I just read your "about me" and got a little teary-eyed. My heart failed almost a year ago, and it was (and still is) a totally life-altering experience. I totally understand how difficult it can be to deal with a serious illness, but it looks to me that you aren't letting it hold you back. Good for you! And my hair color changes almost every month (it was magenta a few days ago, but I dyed it a normal color for my soon to be brother in law's wedding next week). Gotta express myself somehow, and since I had to put my tattoo sleeve on hold, dying my hair is the next best thing. Keep on rockin the odd!

    Anyhoo, I've never read any of the Harry Potter books or seen any of the movies (shame on me), but I have heard that the movies are not so great. But I totally agree with you on Lord of the Rings. I always feel that the books are better because they have so many more details, but the LOTR films were a bit longer than normal, so they didn't lack that many details. I don't typically read books (or watch films) in the high-fantasy genre, but LOTR is still one of my favs.

    Hop on over to my blog when you get a chance, and have a great weekend!

    Mandy @ Embrace Your Oddities

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved both the Harry Potter movies and books. I guess I kind of fell in love with the actors that played the characters and kind of liked watching them grow up. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also bought Lego Pirates of the Caribbean :) I actually haven't played it yet though! I have a puppy who always wants to be in my space so I'm a little afraid to play wii around him as I'm notorious for injuring people. (While playing wii tennis, my sister got bashed in the head on my serve. Whooopps!)

    Thanks for stopping by Bitten Books, I'm following you now too

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez