Sunday 13 October 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon Final Post


Can you believe it's finally over? Here is my final tally:

In the UK, the read-a-thon began at 1pm but then I had to go visit a friend in hospital and so couldn't actually begin reading until 5pm or so. I was lucky enough to be able to settle for most of the night however, finally turning off the light around 3am. I'd planned to go to bed much, much earlier due to my various illnesses affecting my sleep but I got so sucked into Wonder by R.J. Palacio. 

True to form, I only managed to sleep around 5:30am and got up at 10am. I know that's much less sleep than some of you got, but I still woke up groggy and ill. At this point there were three hours left of the read-a-thon, so I settled into my third book.


  
The ten hours I tallied up as 'reading,' where the times when I was actually, you know, reading. I didn't count time spent checking blogs, or typing updates, eating or Tweeting. That is literally the time I spent with a book in my hand.

It's amazing how much spare time you have in a day when you don't waste it aimlessly poking the Internet or staring into space. 

Which hour was most daunting for you? 
Hour Twenty Three, from 11am-12pm. I was so exhausted and groggy that I could barely focus on what I was reading. It probably wasn't the best idea to pick non-fiction as my last book, but it is really interesting. On any other day I'd just have gone back to bed.
Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? 
Definitely Wonder by R.J. Palacio. I'd have stayed up to finish it even if it wasn't a read-a-thon, I just had to know what happened.
Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? 
I found that a lot of the challenges involves quite a lot of effort and I wasn't prepared to take time out from my reading to do physical activity. Some of them were really imaginative and clever, but I did prefer the text-based ones!
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? 
I had quite a few lovely cheerleaders stop by, which was nice. Their enthusiasm seems to be limitless and it really kept me going.
How many books did you read? 
Two and a half, over 10 hours.
What were the names of the books you read? 
Lost in Time (Blue Bloods series #6) by Melissa de la Cruz
Wonder by R.J. Palacio
The Tower Menagerie by Daniel Hahn 
Which book did you enjoy most? 
It's a difficult one. I'm going to say Wonder just because it was so perfect, although I did end up enjoying Lost in Time a lot, despite the slow beginning.
Which did you enjoy least? 
The Tower Menagerie, but only because it was the wrong choice after a sleep of only 4.5 hours when I'm still groggy and exhausted.
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time?
100% definitely! I'll be here!

6 comments:

  1. Haha my sleep was similar to yours, between 3 and 6 and then didn't get up until 10, because sucked into The One Plus One. Glad you had fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sleep time came just as the RaT was beginning so I stayed up an extra hour. I didn't think to keep track of actual time spent reading.

    I think you did fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations honeybun! I've been going through everybody's RAT posts today and commenting, so now I'm just waiting for the final tallies to roll in for a last zoom round... Roll on April when hopefully I'll be bookshop-free and ready to actually READ all of these books I've been amassing. It'll be my pet project when I have some time to myself again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for finishing strong! I took a "little nap" and before I knew it, the readathon was over (!), so you get extra-credit for actually waking up and continuing to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. HANNAAAAA! You did awesome(ly?) well done to youuuuuuuu! *dances around and cheers and stuff*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was supposed to read Wonder for a book club I am in but didn't get around to it. I am hearing such great things about it, I may have to reconsider.

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez