Sunday 13 October 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon Update Two


Hour Eleven - 11pm to 12pm

I've been reading:  Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Pages read since my last update: 67
Pages read altogether:  450
Hours spent reading: 5.5

A new post for a new day!

I'm still loving Wonder, so it's encouraging me to stay up a little bit longer so I can read some more. I am in bed now, which won't help but it's really important I get a decent amount of sleep. As it is for anybody, I guess!

I am starting to get a bit tired now, but I've been reading for 5.5 hours, not including time spent blog hopping, Tweeting, commenting etc. or eating, visiting hospitals etc. Those 5.5 hours I have spent with my eyes on those damn pages! No wonder I'm tired :)

Mid-event Survey

1) How are you doing? Sleepy? Are your eyes tired?
See above! I'm okay for the minute though - as in, I don't need to sleep right now this minute, but I don't think it will be any later than 1am.
 
2) What have you finished reading?
I've finished Lost in Time, which is the sixth book in the Blue Bloods series, and I'm 2/5 of the way through Wonder.
 
3) What is your favorite read so far?
It's hard to say as they're very, very different. Lost in Time started out quite badly but it built up until it became great. Wonder, conversely, started out being one of the most amazing books I've ever read - but I sense that it's going to take a turn I don't like, so I'll withhold judgement until then!
 
4) What about your favorite snacks?
I'm not really a snacky person. We did go to KFC earlier though!
 
5) Have you found any new blogs through the readathon? If so, give them some love!
There are so many people taking part in the read-a-thon and I've stumbled across some great new (to me) blogs. I've really only been commenting on read-a-thon posts, but I've bookmarked several to return to when this is over!

Hour Twelve - 00am to 1am

I've been reading:  Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Pages read since my last update: 91
Pages read altogether:  541
Hours spent reading: 6

This book should have been called 'Perfect' not 'Wonder.'

It's an interesting mini-challenge, but I really just want to carry on reading. Plus I'm too tired to actually want to think of things to say and actually say them and all that jazz, so I'll think I'll read for another half hour and then go to bed.

Night! 

Hour Thirteen - 1am to 2am

I've been reading:  Wonder by R.J. Palacio
Pages read since my last update: 153
Pages read altogether:  653
Hours spent reading: 7

I take back my intention of going to bed - I just had to stay up and finish Wonder.

I'm not sure right now whether I want to cry, throw up or just sit here in a kind of numb contentment but this book is just... perfect. I've pretty much sat here and read it from cover to cover without moving - I've finished two books for the read-a-thon, but that's not why I kept reading. I just had to know.

I ended up staying up much later than I'd planned but I very much do not care. 

Hour Twenty Two - 10am to 11am

I've been reading:  The Tower Menagerie by Daniel Hahn
Books completed: 2
Pages read since my last update: 33
Pages read altogether:  683
Hours spent reading: 8

Morning all! So I got up at 10am, to continue the read-a-thon for the remaining three hours.

It's not going so great really - I stayed up too late last night to finish Wonder and it took me ages to get to sleep even after I eventually turned out the light. I probably had five hours sleep, which doesn't sound too bad but I have Lupus and CCFS/ME and therefore a carefully regulated sleep pattern.

Now I'm all groggy, likely to remain such for the rest of the day. Reading for the last hour has been a slight struggle, despite my really interesting non-fiction book about the old zoo at the Tower of London. My eyes are really heavy and I keep sinking back down under the quilt... 

Turn to Page mini-challenge, hosted by Reflections of a Bookaholic

I would rather read than allow the common people - unreliable and seditious as they were prone to be - to wander freely any day!

Reading Soundtrack mini-challenge, hosted by A Girl That Likes Books

Since I'm currently reading about the first three animals (lions) to ever set foot in the Tower of London, followed by the next animal (a bear) it has to be 'Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, Oh My!' from The Wizard of Oz.

I know the instructions say not to use songs from a soundtrack of a movie adaptation, but I've had that song in my head since before I even saw this challenge, so it's too perfect not to use.
LATER: the host was nice enough to drop by and point out that it's perfectly okay to use this song as my book isn't the Wizard of Oz. Must be my sleep-addled brain playing tricks!


It just reminds me perfectly of the genuine fear the people of London must have felt at seeing these strange creatures paraded through their streets for the first time.

Hour Twenty Three - 11am to 12pm

I've been reading:  The Tower Menagerie by Daniel Hahn
Books completed: 2
Pages read since my last update: 39
Pages read altogether:  722
Hours spent reading: 9

*whimpers*

I'm groggy, sick, headachy and exhausted. This is why a sleep pattern is important, people! I'm way too stubborn to give up now as there's only an hour left, but it may definitely be nap-time afterwards! I might have a little break and visit some blogs now and then check back in with my book for the final half hour.

Hour Twenty Four - 12pm to 1pm

I've been reading:  The Tower Menagerie by Daniel Hahn
Books completed: 2.5
Pages read since my last update: 55
Pages read altogether:  777
Hours spent reading: 10

It's over!

Just when I've finally, finally woken up a little too. I won't go into too much detail now as I'm writing a wrap-up post, but I've had a great time and read way more than I expected.

7 comments:

  1. I loved Wonder. It has to be one of my favorite books this year. So far! Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I could have read right through because I turned off the light at 3ish and didn't just zonk out. Waking up after only 3 hours sleep was much harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I turned off the light at 3am and didn't sleep until about 5:30am. Having got up at 10am, I'm now so tired I want to die :/

      Delete
  3. Hi Hanna, is perfectly ok to use the song from the Wizard, since your book is NOT the Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHHH okay, I understand. Sorry, my sleep addled brain is getting to me! :)

      Delete
  4. Gooood morning muffin! I'm so glad you enjoyed Wonder, it was SO FRICKIN' LOVELY and at the end I definitely cried even though it was all schmaltzy. I'm a sucker for a weepie happy ending. :)

    Hope you feel okay today after your hard night's reading - and I'm quite intrigued by your Tower of London animally book. Another one I'm going to end up buying, perhaps? *readies wishlist wearily*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, just wait until you see the 2am e-mail I sent you :/

      I actually bought it from a charity shop in Bakewell, when me and Lewis came last year. It's really good, or I'm sure it would be if I could focus on it!

      Delete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez