Tuesday 4 September 2012

Top Ten Tuesday - Hanna's Autumn TBR


This is my last of what I plan to be reading this Spring, including old releases, new releases and not-yet releases. It seems only three seconds ago that I was typing up my Spring and Summer TBR lists, and no doubt I'll be doing the Winter one before I know it too.

1) Rise of Empire by Michael J. Sullivan
 
This is the second volume in the Riyria Revelations series, which I'm frantic to get on with after finishing Theft of Swords last week. My Mum's read them already and got slightly over-enthusiastic about them last week, so now I'm champing at the bit.

They follow two mercenaries - an assassin and a thief - as they fight beasts and uncover dastardly intrigues while having a good old banter. Seriously, read these books. 

2) The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker
 
I have absolutely no idea whose blog I saw this on a month or so ago (if it was you, let me know and I'll link to you) but I ordered it immediately as part of my birthday book spending.

Miss Baker travels to NYC where she tries to juggle her Morman heritage with her aspirations to be a successful actress in a memoir that looks as hilarious as it does fascinating.   

3) This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers
 
I wanted to read This Is Not A Test the second it arrived. Then I wanted to read it for the Bout of Books Read-a-thon. Then I was going to read it last week. I swear, this is the book I've most wanted to read that I've had the least success with.

This Autumn though, I will get to it. What could be better than curling up with a blanket and a zombie book when it's dark and rainy outside? :)   

4) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

I seem to be going through a bit of a humourous memoir phase at the minute - I've just finished reading Cuckoo in the Nest by Natalie Luurtsema, where she documents her six months living back under her parents' roof, and Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, where I laughed so hard I cried and then choked on a biscuit. I'm the most attractive reader ever, folks.

I've also got Tina Fey's Bossypants out of the library, despite my dislike for her smug little face, and I'm relistening to How To Be A Woman on audiobook. It only makes sense I read Mindly Kaling next - we can't have her feeling left out!   

5) The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
 
Yes, yes, there is a film coming out. But in my defence, I'm intensely unlikely to ever see it because it has That Girl in it. Seriously, if I were in a room with Emma Watson, Margaret Thatcher, Hitler and Freddy Krueger and only had one bullet, she'd be the first to go. 

Anyway, despite my apathy for the film, I've heard nothing but good things about the book so I can't wait to pick it up this Autumn

6) The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
 
I've never read Hemingway before, can you believe it? I was surprised how tiny it is when my copy arrived from Amazon - it's more of a novella than an actual book.

Still, I love stories about fishermen and the ocean, so this should be right up my street.

7) One Day by David Nicholls

This book has been on every single one of my TBR lists since the year began, and I still haven't got round to it. It's not that I don't want to read it because I've heard nothing but good things about it, but I've never felt particularly inclined to pick it up off the shelf either.  

8) Death Comes To Pemberley by P.D. James

I'm not usually a massive fan of Pride and Prejudice knock-offs, but this one sounds awesome. It has a murder mystery plot and seems to be written in the 'proper' style, so I really want to give it a go. Plus, when I'm finished it can sit next to Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on my P + P shelf!

9) A Mango-Shaped Space by Wendy Mass

Synesthesia is a neurological condition where sufferers often confuse numbers, days of the week, etc with emotions or colours. The number four might always seem green to them, for example. There are even theories that Van Gogh was a synthesete.

A Mango-Shaped Space follows a young girl with this condition as she slowly comes to realise that other people don't see the world in quite the same way she does.  

10) Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

Jodi Picoult books are a little hit-or-miss for me - I either love them, like Handle with Care and My Sister's Keeper or I can't get through them at all, like The Pact. It does tend to be the medical/family law books that I prefer though, which makes sense considering my chosen career.

It's been a while since I read though, and since Keeping Faith has been sat on my TBR shelf for at least a year and a half, it's time I picked it up and gave it a reassuring hug.

So that's a taste of what you might see on Booking in Heels this Autumn - what will you be reading? :) 

16 comments:

  1. I bought The Perks of Being A Wallflower yesterday after meaning to read it for years. First, though, I need to finish off the Game of Thrones books. I also have The Fry Chronicles and 1Q84 on my to-read shelf, among lots of others. I've removed a few books from the shelf that have been there a long time and determined if I haven't read them in the next 2 months, they're going. Bye-bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the first Game of Throne book but I can't say I'm really desperate to read it. I really didn't get on with the TV show and it's such a biiiiiig book...

      I have The Fry Chronicles and 1Q84 too, although I've read the first two books of the latter. It's amazing though - definitely start it if you haven't already :)

      Ugh, I wish I could come up with a plan like that but I have NO willpower when it comes to books!

      Delete
  2. POOR EMMA WATSON! I'd kill Thatcher first, tbh, but if Keira Knightly was in the room too... I just don't know! (note: I really don't want to kill anyone! But if I had to...)

    I have nothing special to say really, except PERKS and MINDY *claps hands* They're really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This Is Not A Test kinda sorta has been spending some time on my TBR list as well...I just don't really feel the need to buy it,, although SO many people seemed to love it - bummer! But I hope you'll enjoy it :)
    Here's my TTT:
    http://booksmartie.blogspot.de/2012/09/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. One Day is a fun read and utterly absorbing - make sure you have a clear day when you start it as you won't want to put it down!

    I've only read one Hemingway but it was enough to put me off him to be honest. His writing is too bare for me, and there's too much macho-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Mindy Kaling's memoir! If you can listen to the audiobook version. After listening to that I have become a major Mindy fan! That girl is so funny and I'm relieved that she really is nothing like Kelly from The Office!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Not a Test is a great read. Enjoy your list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good list and I loved Perks of Being a Wallflower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still really want to read Kaling's book. I still haven't gotten to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so so so want to read Perks of Being a Wallflower. Have been seeing it all over the place lately--probably because of the movie coming out soon. I've read Mormon Single Dance and it was a fun light read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really wanted to do this week's prompt, but I was running around like a headless chicken packing stuff for HOLIDAYS and I didn't get round to it... I still haven't read Hemingway either - even though several of his books are teeny tiny ones - and I still haven't read One Day. Also, This is Not a Test looks AWESOME. But we're moving in, like, one month, so I'm officially on book lockdown now the hols are over. Oh well... :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jimmy Choo Shoes all 30% discount

    Jimmy Choo Shoes
    jimmy choo wedding shoes
    Jimmy Choo Boots
    jimmy choo Sandals Champagne
    jimmy choo heels
    Jimmy Choo Wedges
    Jimmy Choo Flats
    Welcome to our [url href="http://www.uubc.net"]Jimmy Choo America Shoes [/ur]Store Online. jimmy choo Leather Sandals
    Jimmy Choo Bridal ShoesSliver is a delicate and pretty choice with dresses or pants. These dainty Jimmy Choo Shoes work well with feminine attire, offering an option that works well if you prefer a lower heel.




    Roger Vierer Shoes all 30% discount

    Welcome to our [url href="http://www.rogervivier-flats.net"]Roger Vivier America [/url]Store Online.
    Roger Vivier shoes
    Roger Vivier Online
    2012 Roger Vivier
    Roger Vivier flats
    Roger Vivier Pumps

    ReplyDelete
  12. Effective prophylactic medical Roger Vivier care Daphne kids shoes in accordance with the rate akin to progress of young adults in every periods of time, paired with hospital tips, crafted the particular ergonomic office, osteology, to bolster the protection regarding youngsters' bottom, including a a line child's dance shoes when promoting unquestionably the healthy and fit Roger Vivier Outlet continuing development of the very arch 1 improve flatfoot alignment promote fantastic heels, combined with the wellbeing, gravy toes on secure all of the digital footcare sound footwear, for you to antibacterial fit youngsters pair of shoes, productive prevention Roger Vivier of this condition shoe beef up the fitness of infant's high heel sandals.

    ReplyDelete

  13. Zhuang, along with Roger Vivier Flats exciting "sieve shoes" Married. Early single girl's Zhongjie Mei communicate your future wife from the groom themselves, given the name "send veteran. "Weddings" sing "Ten supposed Song" past forwarding professional player Tomorrow, typically the person hosting family in the main residence organized the actualRoger Vivier Pumps meal, expressed "Jingcha,Inches "toast" anniversary, to give their family further along awoke to have, as soon as a mens epigenetic controlling one bamboo sprouts sieve, reached those art gallery "sieve high heel sandals, to share their family must have to quibble humility, only maybe Roger Vivier Shoes distribute sports shoes current almond sieve, diminutive toy productive size as providing souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The guy was offered the gown high heel Roger Vivier On Sale sandals, white paper packages referring to almond filter, lesser known spin along with a sieve, less advertised person to transmit themselves Roger Vivier Heels ahead of the, i would say the performed appreciate records, to mail their loved ones to consider the exact bundle, the need hasta la vista. Big wedding Unique Roger Vivier Shop nuptial footwear or boots, a certain which usually formulated, provide extremely endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

  15. For that components of Roger Vivier northern part Han, with regard to partnerships, groom with regard to the moms in the kitchen are required to blast polyandrum spikes, footwear types needs to be back in pairs, any auspicious rapport, to twos, never before separated assumed. Actually Roger Vivier Online containing the bride to be placed on polyandrum as well as 4 door reclining chair, and polyandrum of a organic and hard, harmonic wondering new mother "meaning, metaphor fiance frequently, let alone mom. Like a, as providing a holy matrimony surprise, high heel sandals using auspicious and Roger vivier online Sale after that harmonious so this means.

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez