Thursday 6 September 2012

Review: Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations series #1 and 2) by Michael Sullivan

Book cover of Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
In all honesty, I'd never even heard of this series before I stumbled across it in the library. It was a last second grab as I headed to the check-out machines - the title caught my eye when I wandered past the fantasy shelf. I seriously owe a hell of a lot to serendipity though, because this is one of THE BEST fantasy books I have ever read. 

Plot summary - Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom.

Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires?

And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend.


I can't believe these books were originally self-published - if the more traditional publishers turned Michael J. Sullivan down, they need their heads looking at. This book contains the first two books in the Riyria Revelations series, The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha, so it's fairly weighty but definitely don't let that put you off - I could barely put the damn thing down.

This is fantasy at its very, very best. I have a secret love for assassins and thieves anyway (in a novelised sparkly form, obviously), but the characters here just bounce off each other so perfectly even the most apathetic of readers can't help but fall in love. Royce is the mysterious thief - small but deadly, he is capable of getting into lockboxes and dungeons even the most skilled outsider could never manage. He's a little gruff, which contrasts nicely with the smiling wonder that is Hadrian.

Okay, so I'm not one of those readers who gets obsessed with fictional characters. I don't care particularly about Peeta or Gale, and I never doodled 'Mrs Hanna Cullen' on my school books. I've only ever had one book crush (*cough* Remus Lupin *cough*)... until now. Because oh my God, Hadrian Blackwater. I don't know why, but he'd definitely make the top of my list, even if it didn't consist of only two names. Hadrian is the ideal contrast to Royce - charming and caring, he's the deadly warrior that cannot be bested.

Like in many well-crafted fantasy novels, it's the character interaction that really makes it. The plot isn't dragged down by unecessary dialogue in the slightest, but the conversation that is present is perfect. Hadrian and Royce banter amusingly, argue and complain but there's an underlying atmosphere of friendship and closeness that is impossible to overlook.

Not only are the characters awesome, the plot itself really stands out among others of its genre. Yes, there are the usual magic, swords and mythical beasts but it's interwoven a little more subtly than I'm used to - certain plot revelations you just don't see coming. It's very clever in parts and uses wonderful imagery to paint the landscapes of Elan.

I'd already reserved the next two volumes of the series before I'd finished this one. While it doesn't exactly end on a cliffhanger, there are some questions that I just need to be answered! There is the over-reaching story arc of our heroes trying to overthrow the corrupt Church, but there's more than enough secondary characters and sub-plots to really hook you in to each individual book.

Quite obviously, I adored this book and it has instantly gone onto my list of the best fantasy novelists. If you're looking for wonderful adult fantasy with great characters and a fast-moving plot, you can't go far wrong with Theft of Swords.

Visit Michael J. Sullivan's website here, or find him on Twitter.    

12 comments:

  1. The guy on the cover looks like the Highlander! That is all! (sexy)

    Angie
    Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing this series recommended every where. Okay.. not every where.. just wherever I find fantasy lovers. Wish I could afford them but perhaps my library has them in? Was adding books to my library wishlist the other day. Apparently they have 1 and 3 of the Brent Weeks trilogy >.>

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I *might* have just bought the eBook of this in a frenzy of assassin-related excitement. We're going to America in a couple of weeks and this is my officially pre-designated "Stopping Me Killing Andy on the Plane" book! Because seriously? He's lovely and all but HORRENDOUS at sitting still and/or entertaining himself on a confined space and this results in me trying to read and him trying to talk to me. Not a winning combination :/

    ANYway, this post wasn't about my plane woes, was it?! All I was going to say was: I bought it so part of your work here is done! That said, though, I was always going to be an easy sell for this one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realise that I didn't explain how me having a great book helps keep Andy amused. It doesn't. It just means that I more vehemently defend my right to read in peace than I would if I was reading something mediocre. So yeh...

      Delete
    2. Hahahahahaha, Lewis is EXACTLY the same. He can entertain himself if he has his iPad or something, but he always wants to SHARE. "Look Hanna, look at this!" "Hey Hanna, look what I did!" It's got to the point where everytime he opens his mouth I just start reading aloud from my book... I don't even know why he puts up with me really.

      This is a great plane book though :) It's two books in one and you can really immerse yourself in the world. If Andy is quiet, anyway :p

      Delete
  4. Jimmy Choo Shoes all 30% discount

    Jimmy Choo Shoes
    jimmy choo wedding shoes
    Jimmy Choo Boots
    jimmy choo Sandals Champagne
    jimmy choo heels
    Jimmy Choo Wedges
    Jimmy Choo Flats
    Welcome to our [url href="http://www.uubc.net"]Jimmy Choo America Shoes [/ur]Store Online. jimmy choo Leather Sandals
    Jimmy Choo Bridal ShoesSliver is a delicate and pretty choice with dresses or pants. These dainty Jimmy Choo Shoes work well with feminine attire, offering an option that works well if you prefer a lower heel.




    Roger Vierer Shoes all 30% discount

    Welcome to our [url href="http://www.rogervivier-flats.net"]Roger Vivier America [/url]Store Online.
    Roger Vivier shoes
    Roger Vivier Online
    2012 Roger Vivier
    Roger Vivier flats
    Roger Vivier Pumps

    ReplyDelete
  5. Effective prophylactic medical Roger Vivier care Daphne kids shoes in accordance with the rate akin to progress of young adults in every periods of time, paired with hospital tips, crafted the particular ergonomic office, osteology, to bolster the protection regarding youngsters' bottom, including a a line child's dance shoes when promoting unquestionably the healthy and fit Roger Vivier Outlet continuing development of the very arch 1 improve flatfoot alignment promote fantastic heels, combined with the wellbeing, gravy toes on secure all of the digital footcare sound footwear, for you to antibacterial fit youngsters pair of shoes, productive prevention Roger Vivier of this condition shoe beef up the fitness of infant's high heel sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guy was offered the gown high heel Roger Vivier On Sale sandals, white paper packages referring to almond filter, lesser known spin along with a sieve, less advertised person to transmit themselves Roger Vivier Heels ahead of the, i would say the performed appreciate records, to mail their loved ones to consider the exact bundle, the need hasta la vista. Big wedding Unique Roger Vivier Shop nuptial footwear or boots, a certain which usually formulated, provide extremely endeavor.

    ReplyDelete

  7. For that components of Roger Vivier northern part Han, with regard to partnerships, groom with regard to the moms in the kitchen are required to blast polyandrum spikes, footwear types needs to be back in pairs, any auspicious rapport, to twos, never before separated assumed. Actually Roger Vivier Online containing the bride to be placed on polyandrum as well as 4 door reclining chair, and polyandrum of a organic and hard, harmonic wondering new mother "meaning, metaphor fiance frequently, let alone mom. Like a, as providing a holy matrimony surprise, high heel sandals using auspicious and Roger vivier online Sale after that harmonious so this means.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Hui'an District, Fujian Roger Vivier Flats Chongwu Peninsula enormous at first this township. At which Hui'an women's homespun embroidered shoes and boots and they make use of, their specific physical condition men's slippers. Uppers Roger Vivier Outlet having a teal cloth material embelleshment released. Insoles frameworked with the older small towel each quartet built an centimeter weighty, and then ended up being repleat that includes obsolete cloth material undertaken head Roger Vivier on meanwhile with the of aging feet.

    ReplyDelete


  9. I love hearing from my readers! All comments are greatly appreciated :) If you're a fellow book blogger, include a link so I can come and visit you!
    Clippinh factory india

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to reading more. Great blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Keep writing.clipping factory usa

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez