Wednesday 1 August 2012

Random Reads #5: Two Queens in One Isle by Alison Plowden


Wow, I can't believe this will be my fifth consecutive month participatining in Random Reads, hosted over at I'm Loving Books.

I've managed to complete the assigned book every single month so far, even I have whined a hell of a lot about the complete absence of fiction. Because, seriously, look - 

Random Read #1: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 2 by Alan Moore
Random Read #2: Telling Tales: A History of Literary Hoaxes by Melissa Katsoulis
Random Read #3: Delusions of Gender by Cordelia Fine
Random Read #4: An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain by John O'Farrell

The idea is to read one book, picked completely at random, off your TBR shelf. This is absolutely brilliant for me, as I have a huge TBR that never seems to go down and it doesn't help that I have so many review books waiting to be read!

Want to join in?


It’s easy…
  1. If you’re on Goodreads, enable sorting to your to-read shelf (you should see numbers next to each book now).
  2. Go to Random.org and type in the Min as 1 and the Max as how many ever books are on your to-read shelf.
  3. Scroll down to the book matching the number Random.org picks.
  4. Link up to your Random Reads post by clicking on the banner above.
If you’re not on Goodreads just pick a random book from your list in whatever way you want to do it. You can use the method I used above or even just close your eyes and point randomly at a book on your bookshelf if you want (spin the bottle style).  

(explanation stolen from last month's sign-up post). 



This is ridiculous. There is no way I just rolled my fifth non-fiction book in a row. I'm not doctoring this, I swear, but it's getting a little much. I don't even have that many non-fiction books on my TBR!

Anyway, Two Queens in One Isle is a non-fiction book by Alison Plowden about Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I. Wish me luck!
 

9 comments:

  1. It is quite amazing xD Someone really wants you to read non-fiction!

    Well, at least this sounds really interesting :) Wish you a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really good, I look forward to reading the review, it might make it's way onto my wishlist!

    I got Rob Roy in my Random Reads, it's going to be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh. Oooh... I like this way of doing things... I never know what to read, so this could be the answer to all my troubles (after this month, I know what I'm reading this month hehe). This is what I'm doing in September though, fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - it at least gives me ONE book that I don't need to umm and aah over, ONE book that's just there and waiting instead of me dithering about in front of my bookcase for three hours. It's quite refreshing! ;)

      Delete
  5. Good Luck - it looks good anyway & you'd probably enjoy it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck dude! I've only been doing RR for 2 months (though I picked two books last month) and so far 2/3 have been non-fiction. Well, 3/3 if you consider Gonzo journalism to be closer to non-fiction than fiction. Let's call it 2.5/3. I haven't even finished July's DIANA yet, so I'll have to hope for a fiction book in September to give me a fighting chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God damn it, I KNEW this thing was biased!!!

      Delete
    2. Hehe, if you put it like that. It does seem biased. Although, that's no problem. All we have to do is read and be done with it. :)

      Delete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez