Monday 13 August 2012

Bout of Books Update Post


Bout of Books Read-a-Thon
I'll update this at the end of each day, instead of spamming everybody's feed reader with posts :)

Conveniently, I finished my current read, The Fault in Our Stars, late Sunday night so it left me free to start a new book for the read-a-thon!

13/08 - Monday
Books I’ve read today: The Lost World by Michael Crichton
Pages I've read today: 122 pages of The Lost World.
Comments: I didn't get off to the best start today - I woke up late and then snatched an hour of X-box time while my boyfriend went out. Playing while he's in the room tends to erode our already fragile domesticity - he tries to 'help' and it doesn't end well.

Then I tried to real but kept getting distracted by the Olympic Closing Cermony on iPlayer and wishing Brian May would just stab Jessie J with the end of his guitar.

Still, I've caught up now. The Lost World is pretty good and I'm enjoying it (even though it wasn't even on my list of possible reads for this week) but I do wish I'd managed to get a review finished today (or started...).  Oh, and I did complete my first mini-challenge - what do you do with your books once you've read them?

14/08 - Tuesday
Books I’ve read today: The Lost World by Michael Crichton
Pages I've read today: 185 pages of The Lost World.
Comments: Better today. We haven't really been out or done anything today as The Boy is happily keeping himself busy while I read. I did have The Nap To End All Naps a little earlier, but that couldn't really be avoided.

I did manage to get a review up though! It wasn't one of the three that I listed in my goal post, but I finished the book after I'd written that and desperately wanted to talk about it. Read my review of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. 

15/08 - Wednesday
Books I’ve read today: The Lost World by Michael Crichton and The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Pages I've read today: 123 pages of The Lost World - FINISHED! and 25 pages of the other.
Comments: Yay! I finished my first book for the read-a-thon! I was hoping to be a reasonable length into my second by now, but the Jurassic Park books are surprisingly heavy. I love them though, so that's alright :)

We were going to go to the cinema today but as there's torrential rain outside we decided to stay in. Surprise surprise, I ended up with a headache the size of china, but I've done a little on my blog at least.

Oh oh! And I found out that I've been accepted to Middle Temple Inn, FINALLY! I'm due to start my BPTC in September and they don't admit you without membership to an Inn of Court and I've finally, FINALLY got in! *dances* 

16/08 - Thursday
Books I’ve read today: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Pages I've read today: 75 pages. 
Comments: I've been at work today, so not really had chance to read. It doesn't help that I'm not really feeling The Gunslinger either. I've started to get into it a little more now, but I don't know. 

I also did two of the mini-challenges! Check them out here.
 
I've just come home from work after a week spent at my boyfriend's... and I'm sat in a room ON MY OWN! I can't even explain how truly awesome this feels.

17/08 - Friday
Books I’ve read today: The Gunslinger by Stephen King
Pages I've read today: 99 pages.
Comments: Pfft. Fairly crappy reading day today. I had to go to the hospital in Leeds this morning, which involves two trains and two buses in total, so I was fairly shattered when I got home and just went to sleep. By the time I got up it was 4:30pm and I watched Percy Jackson with Mum. I don't know, it's strange for me to have a day where I barely read - I hardly ever watch TV or films at home. Figures the one day I do is during a read-a-thon, right? :p

I did get one of my goal reviews up though - read my thoughts on King Solomon's Mines!

18/08 - Saturday
Books I’ve read today: The Gunslinger by Stephen King - FINISHED! and Bumped by Megan McCafferty
Pages I've read today: 39 pages of The Gunslinger and 280 of Bumped.
Comments: Now that's more like it! Clearly I made the mistake of kicking the read-a-thon off with two really heavy books, because now it feels like I'm flying through Bumped. It helps that I had incredibly low expectations for it due to a scathing review I read, so it was a pleasant surprise when I ended up enjoying it.

I haven't had much to do today, so I've been able to read a little more anyway. Well, I've had plenty to do inside the house (which was dutifully ignored) but nothing that meant I had to venture into the dreaded Outside, so I've nearly finished my third book just from today. 

98/08 - Sunday
Books I’ve read today: Bumped by Megan McCafferty - FINISHED! and Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan
Pages I've read today: 53 pages and 230 respectively.
Comments: I just can't believe it's the last day of the read-a-thon already. I've got no idea where this week has gone, but at least today I met my target of three books. I've written two reviews this week as well, so if I can get another all typed up this afternoon then that's another target met.

I also did one of the mini-challenges today - click here to see who I'd cast in a movie version of Bumped.

I finished Bumped a few minutes ago (about 2:30pm), so I should have time to start another a little later on :)

LATER - And I did! I got 170 pages into Theft of Swords, which is 649 pages long. Hardly a huge dint but at least it's a larger number to add to my total.



 

17 comments:

  1. I'm not the biggest fan of anything Queen related to begin with (and by "not the biggest fan", I'm being polite and obviously mean that I *really* dislike them) but combining one of their hideous songs with a wailing and thrashing singer wearing wonky trousers and you don't have anything that makes me happy! Most of the rest I liked, though. Although I was disappointed that they didn't go in chronological order or something...but that's because I'm weird about such things!

    Anyway, this is about books, right?! I did decide to join this because I hate few things more than everyone having fun with a read-a-thon while I watch. So yey for a 100+ start - GO HANNA *cheers and claps*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, don't make me go all Killer Queen on your ass! *adjusts flamboyant moustache with great panache*

      Off to check out your BoB (Bob, hehe) stuff, I must have missed that one! :)

      Delete
    2. Oh don't worry! You didn't miss it, I just joined late because I didn't want to feel as though I was missing out :)

      Delete
    3. I love Queen, it has to be said. I went through a huge, obsessive phase when I was about 15 but obviously I've calmed down with it now! I still adore Freddie Mercury though.

      But what was with Jessie J? They couldn't find anyone better than a wailing 23 year old with her arse out!?

      Delete
  2. You're off to a great start, silly woman! I think I've read about 35 pages so far today, and a fair few of those were only because the cat came and curled up with me just as I was about to get up and so I stayed put a bit longer! I really want to read JURASSIC PARK and THE LOST WORLD soon, they look like they might be quite good page-turners... Have all manner of reading awesomeness this week, k? With chocolate buttons! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the first Jurassic Park, I really can't recommend it enough.

      The second is okay so far, but an awful lot of it doesn't make any sense AT ALL.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm after I enjoyed Jurassic Park so much I wanted to try The Lost World, but I heard he was kind of pressured into writing it by the movie people, so I thought it might not be as good :-/

    You're off to a good start though! And I have long ago forbidden the honeyman to try to "help" me when I play games. Unless I ask for his help, of course. Man... now I wanna go play Black Ops...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed The Lost World, but it was nowhere near as good as Jurassic Park. But it is considerably better than the movie. Looks like you're off to a great start. Good luck the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh Michael Crichton, I need to read more of him! I read and loved Timeline, but that's it! Solid start to your readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats on finishing your first book! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, you're doing great! And I totally agree that it's really nice to get a little (solitary) peace and quiet once in a while, especially when you're trying to read a good book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZOMG PERCY JACKSON! Well, he'd cheer ME up after a long day! ;)

      Delete
  8. I think I had tried to read some of the JP novels when I was in middle school - and it was hard! They are good, but long and they have a ton of advanced vocabulary in them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I think you are doing amazing, despite everything. You are doing a lot better than me too, think i had 1 day where i read over 1 page. I totally dig having some alone time, i crave it so much with having a partner and 2 kids, when i get that time i normally fall asleep too lol. But i def read more when i'm alone. Keep up the good work! Almost over :( xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're doing great! Happy weekend reading ;)

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez