Sunday 19 August 2012

In My Mailbox #36 - BIRTHDAY EDITION!!!

 So last week featured the very important event of my 23rd birthday - that funny age where I seem to be a few years younger than a lot of you, but then a few years older than the rest of you! We need more 23 year old book bloggers people!

Anyway, the photo on the left contains my bookish birthday presents. I swear, I got so many lovely things through the post from Charlotte, Bex, Ellie and Hannah that I couldn't believe it. To have so many people not only remember my birthday, but send cards, texts and presents too? I feel so lucky.

So, Charlotte from Lit Addicted Brit sent me the lovely pink card on the left, the awesome mug it's standing on, the Penguin clothbound edition of Dracula at the back and then a copy of Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. Just look at the mug though - click on it to make it better. A Pride and Prejudice mug! 

I read her review of Attachments and instantly wanted to read it. Now I can :)

Ellie of Musings of a Bookshop Girl sent me a Penguin clothbound classics book too - Emma, the green book at the back with the chairs. I love those books more than anything. I have... six, I think, so far but I'm definitely going to build up my collection. The super-bright and happy card on the right is from Ellie too.

Bex from An Armchair by the Sea plundered my wishlist and picked The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and the prettiest edition of Howard's End by E.M Forster I've ever seen. It was published by Penguin English Library and has little umbrellas on it.  

Last but not least (for bloggers, anyway), Hannah (HANNA- *pauses, thinks* -H) from Once Upon A Time surprised me with a copy of Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas. We were texting about it months ago and I'd completely forgotten about it until a shiny new copy turned up for me :)

Can you believe that I got such special presents?

I also got a new copy of Pride and Prejudice from my parents - this makes 45 now! It's a really pretty and stiff one too, with a holographic gold cover that shines in the light. 

Just in case you're wondering what the white stick hanging out of Dracula is in the top photo (because you so obviously were), it's a tiny metal frog bookmark. I love frogs - I have a frog blanket, a frog toothbrush holder, a frog chalboard... everything. So look at this!

I'm not a massive fan of metal bookmarks, but the glass frog is just too cute. He's sticking out of Emma at the minute, so I can see him whenever I look at my Penguin clothbounds!

But obviously I haven't just got birthday books over the last fortnight. Sorry. I'm still determined that my TBR counter (on the sidebar, at the top) will have a downwards arrow by the end of August, but it's +6 at the minute and the books I spent my birthday money haven't arrived yet...

These are the others. There should also be Jurassic Park: The Lost World (which I've read but not reviewed yet) and the completely underwhelming The Fault in Our Stars (reviewed!).

It's strange, I avoided the hype over Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell for ages when it first came out, but I saw a copy in the charity shop I work in, read the first page and instantly knew I absolutely had to read the rest. It's not the pretty red copy, but I'll survive.

So that's it for this week! Stay tuned next week when I'll have all my birthday money books!

18 comments:

  1. happy birthday for last week! And lots of lovely presents...I thought you were older, and I mean that in a good way! ut you're right, there are a lot of young bloggers and the rest of us are past your prime, you're at the best bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 23! :) And ahhh Fairyland was another I had my eye on for you. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some really good books this week. I like your layout very much. Come visit me too.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday, sweetie! Aww, such fabulous presents, and I love that bookmark - so cute! Enjoy all your reads! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 24... nearly the right age! And that mug is fantastic. I want the whole set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm much older than I'd like to be. 23 was one of my favourites :-p to be fair, my only experience so far of 25 is that of being hugely fat and awkward so it's a bit slanted in 23's favour really! Glad you like the books - Howard's End is SUCH a pretty edition I *nearly* bought one for myself despite already having a perfectly decent one, but restrained myself because of how mature I am and stuff...

    I love the bookmark and the mug and just the general awesome bookish presentyness of it. I've been trying to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell for about five years. I read a book of short stories by her and totally adored it but for some reason I keep getting distracted from it... Maybe if you have more luck with it, I'll get inspired again! (So no pressure)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 23 will be my Law School year, so I'm hoping it will be a good one! And you are NOT fat, you are pregnant and there is an incredibly huge (lol) difference. SO THERE!

      Yeeeeeah, you're talking to the girl with 45 copies of Pride and Prejudice - I think two copies of Howard's End is acceptable :p

      I really want to read JS & MR, but it's just so damn big! *is a wimp*

      Delete
  7. (the 2nd 'it' being Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, not the book of short stories... I'm tired!It's warm! My grammatical ability has deserted me!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm 23 tooo! But I definitely agree with the lack of bloggers our age- definitely a few years either way seems to be more common. But still... 23 is awesome :)

    And woooo all the books!! I feel like I said Happy Birthday, but in case I didn't... Happy late birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in love with the bookmark. Frogs are so cute!

    Such lovely gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday for last week. Hope you had a fab day. I love your little froggy bookmark, so sweet.
    I'm 23 and a blogger (well I'm 24 in 9 days but close enough)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my giddy aunt, that's another awesome-beans haul you got there. I LOVE THAT MUG! *runs off to see what other classics they have* And a frog! And Life of Pi! And such a cool spooky edition of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell! And Attachments! *lies down and thinks very hard about the fact that she's moving house and can't buy ALL THE THINGS like she normally does* OOH! 13 BULLETS! I stole that last week - it's hidden in the YA box at the shop (which Mum doesn't touch) so it doesn't get sold. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, the mug is amazing. They only do three classics so far, I think - P &P, Moby Dick and Frankenstein? Or I might have made that up completely.

      *snorts* I lke how you basically just said 'I can't buy books, SO I SHALL STEAL THEM INSTEAD!!!'

      Delete
  12. Ooh, that mug is even cuter than it looked on the picture! YEY! :)

    I actually think that I prefer your edition of JS&MN to my red one. I secretly (*shhh*) bought an eBook copy too so that I could read it without having to break myself and all of my handbags lugging it around...which is quite indulgent of me, really, but I bought the paperback copy YEARS ago so it doesn't really count :s

    Cloud Atlas is really good, so far as I remember. Life of Pi is pretty strange but also fabulous and rather clever.

    I'll be quite interested to see what you make of Emily Gee. I read a book of hers a while ago and it was a lot...harsher than I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I love it. Haven't dared drink out of it yet, but I will :) I think it will be one of those mugs that no-one is allowed to touch but me, like my tree frog mug, my Kermit mug and my Muppets one.

      I actually saw the red version in a charity shop today, and it's HUGE :/ I mean, obviously it has the same words in but it just seems ridiculously bigger.

      The film trailer made Cloud Atlas look awesome, so I bought the book based on that... *coughs* Yes, I'm one of THOSE people. But I bought Life of Pi and THEN heard it was a film so it's okay!

      You know you've bought too many books when you have to scroll up to your own photo to work out who Emily Gee is...

      Delete
  13. I'm turning 23 this year too, and gosh never thought I would find another so close to my age.
    Everyone else seems to be mothers with time or young girls.
    Can I join the mid 20's club?!?!? haha.

    Just came across your blog and really enjoy your writing.
    Such an inspirational story too.
    Look forward to reading your future posts!

    Emma :)
    http://emmaseminentbooks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez