Thursday 15 September 2011

Book Blogger Appreciation Week: Reading and Blogging


We have no blogs without books! Today’s topic explores that even more!


Book bloggers blog because we love reading. Has book blogging changed the way you read? Have you discovered books you never would have apart from book blogging? How has book blogging affected your book acquisition habits? Have you made new connections with other readers because of book blogging? Choose any one of these topics and share your thoughts today!

I don't think blogging has changed the way that I read really - I've always made silly little notes for no particular purpose on what I'm reading. It's made me stay more focused on reading, I think, instead of getting distracted by World of Warcraft or staring aimlessly at a wall. I need something to blog about or Booking in Heels will crash and burn, and so I make sure I have a book ready to review.
I've definitely discovered new books through blogging. I read a lot more YA than I used to, thanks to seeing so many reviews of that genre in our blogging world. As an example, uh... there's Matched by Allie Condie (here's my review) and I wouldn't have heard about The Hunger Games until the film came out. It looks like it's going to be terrible too, so I doubt I'd have picked up the book based on that alone. I just don't tend to pick up YA without having read a review first, I'm not really sure why.

YA aside, I've received tons of book recommendations. If it weren't for Ellie from Musings of a Bookshop Girl, I would never have heard of Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest For Relief From The Headache That Wouldn't Go Away by Jennette Fulda (review here, as always). Bex from An Armchair by the Sea recommended the Godmother book by Carolyn Turgeon, and although I haven't read it yet, it looks amazing.

However, if it weren't for book blogging I might have space to actually move in my house! There are books everywhere, a ridiculously large percentage of which were sent by publishers, swapped, R.A.K.s... basically, down to my blog. I don't regret it; I love having a huge selection to choose from - but my partner keeps threatening to use them for firewood!

5 comments:

  1. Nice post! I have found that my reading has broadened out since starting my blog because I'm exposed to a lot more books than I was before. Of course, that means my tbr list is a bit out of control.......

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post. I think that for me it opened up a whole new world. I had read very few YA's, yet I still ended up reading tons more of them than I ever expected that I would. Really was stunned to find such a rich and diverse world of characters to explore. Also new follower. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a lot more YA than I did before blogging, too. Using the library regularly has helped there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book blogging has greatly transformed how and what I read

    I am stopping by from the Philippines to see how book blogging has changed your reading life

    How Book Blogging Transformed My Reading Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pssht, who needs room to move in their house? I love being surrounded by books, though I move too often to let myself have the collection I do. I love getting recommendations to others, and to having my reading horizons broadened by reading about what others are reading.

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez