Monday 1 August 2011

In My Mailbox #7



Well apparently I must think there are 56 hours in a day, and all of them are for reading. I've obtained a stupid amount of books this week (just like last week really...), and not only will I never have time to read them all, I've run out of space on my TBR shelf. The plan was to no longer buy books if they wouldn't fit on there, but as I never quite believed it myself... well, the squashed green pig speaks for itself. 

This is my bookishly-obsessed week. Isn't it a sight for sore eyes? Doesn't it make you want to skip and dance and laugh? Don't you suddenly feel lighter and brighter for seeing it? And that, my friends, is why we have Problems. 

But anyway.

From Amazon:


Forever Barbie is a non-fiction account of the creation of the Barbie doll and the impact it's had on society and feminism. It was recommended by the author of Cinderella Ate My Daughter (my review is here - it's definitely worth reading) and I do have a weakness for for investigations into gender stereotyping on small children. What can I say, I'm a strange girl.

Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story was recommended to me (more than once!) by Bex from An Armchair by the Sea. I bought it the day after I imposed a book-buying plan, which shows just how seriously I take these things. I blame you Bex.

Chocolate & Vicodin was actually recommended to me by my Doctor, of all people. No, we're not in the habit of sitting comfortable chatting about books over tea and cakes, although that would be a nice change. It's a semi-memoir by Jennette Fulda, who suffered a constant headache for years of her life, with no discernible cause. It's a light-hearted look into chronic pain of all types and its alleviation.

From the library:

Sheffield Central Library has been shut for refurbishment for one long month, so I went to one of the mini-libraries to alleviate the corresponding withdrawal symptoms. It's obviously aimed pretty much exclusively at old people and pre-teens, because they don't have much but large-print family sagas and ancient computers surrounded by hordes of half-dressed terrors minors.

I refused to leave empty-handed though, so I grabbed Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and What Alice Forgot by Liaue Moriarty on a whim. I started The Graveyard Book on the way home, as when faced with a handbag empty of other books and a long train ride, it's amazing what you'll read. But hey, you know what? It's actually pretty good. My review is here.

From swaps:



Looks like I've gone slightly crazy on swaps this week then... But hey, you can never have too many, so my swap list is here if you want to take a look :)

Before I Fall looks to be one of the more mature YA books out there, but as soon as it arrived, I squeaked over the perfect condition... and then promptly lost it. Why is it that the books you most want to read are always the ones that get stolen by the Book Fairies?

I have a bit of a mixed opinion of Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper is one of my all-time favourite books (my review of the book and film are here and here respectively), but I didn't like The Pact or Salem Falls. I figure that maybe I'll only like her children-with-odd-medical-and-legal-problems books (a specific genre, I know), so I'm going to give Handle With Care and Keeping Faith a go.

Postcards From The Edge is Carrie Fisher's first novel. I wasn't even aware she'd written any at all until a month or so ago when I read (and loved) her autobiography, Wishful Drinking (review here). 

I only accepted a swap for Divine By Mistake because I'd declined a couple of swaps in a row and felt bad, but when I thought about it, I realised I actually really want to read it. I liked P.C. Cast's House of Night series, so I'm sure this will be equally as good :)

 From Sheffield Space Centre:


The Space Centre isn't nearly as interesting as it sounds, unfortunately. Well, it is pretty cool, but severely lacking in shuttles, aliens or moonrock. It's a comic book/graphic novel store thah has a huge wall of science-fiction and fantasy novels. It's a handy little place, as I can park The Boy by Batman and return to pick him up later :)

I've read Mercedes Lackey's Phoenix and Ashes before (it's a Cinderella retelling), but it was the only one of the Elemental Masters series I didn't actually own and it's my favourite by far.


The Stepsister Scheme is another retelling, but ti's been on my wishlist for ages. I've nevr read anything by Mr. Hines before, but I know he's written a lot of reltellings and light fantasy. This one has Cinderella, Snow White and Red Riding Hood teaming up to rescue.. someone from something. Sorry.

From ASDA: 
 
Okay, so I have absolutely no idea what any of these three books are about, but ASDA had them on clearance for 87p for a box set of all three, so why wouldn't I buy them? (shh, I'm still under the illusion I'm going to actually read them...)

Well, I loved Farenheit 451, that's my excuse.

From the second hand book stall:


The owner of the second-hand book stall in Shipley underground market actually knows me by name, it's that bad. Well, he's cheap and usually has a really good selection, so I stop by every couple of days.

Once again, I can't remember what The Rapture is actually about. I have a disease people, I tell you.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? on the other hand, I've wanted to read for a good while now. It's just my kind of science-fictiony, dystopian, robot-y novel. I've heard wonderful things, so I doubt it'll be too long before I read it. Well, that and the fact that it won't actually fit on the damn shelf... 

From HMV:
Finally, this is one of those Taschen art books. They're huge, and hardbacked and full of shiny, glossy art prints. Mmm... They're also usually quite expensive, but this one was only £7 and I really do like 1950s pin-up paintings.

Argh. I'm buying fewer books this week, I swear, just so I don't have to sit here and write about them all next week!

12 comments:

  1. Might have just friended you on Read It Swap It.

    And gosh you're as bad as me! Eyes bigger than our bookshelves, clearly. I'm trying to stop until I catch up, I promise, but working in a charity bookshop with 25p-50p books is HARD!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Rapture, it was just OK. It sounded like it was going to be an amazing apocalyptic thriller from the blurb on the back but didn't quite turn out how I expected.

    I love your blog (stumbled on over from An Armchair by the Sea). I'm a new follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice books !. Forever Barbie sounds awesome just by the title and cover. I mean, what's there not to like about Barbie !:D

    Kandee, New Follower.
    Kandee @ Pretty Little Book-Head
    http://prettylittlebookhead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I love the pink hair.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sophia - Ahh, that's probably why I haven't seen it featuerd anywhere if it was 'just okay.'

    @Kandee - I love obscure non-fiction books, so this one sounded right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww i'm sorry for making you buy more books!! But on the plus side, it really is a great book :-) and if you don't like it, you can swap it with meeeee as I still don't actually own a copy!

    You're actually worse than me for getting books! The Mercedes Lackey and the other fairytaleish one sound really interesting... I really don't need any more books :-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh also I forgot to say, Jodi Picoult is awesome! I'm reading Sing You Home at the moment and it's brilliant. Handle with Care was really good, and Keeping Faith was also good, but not quite as awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Bex - Sigh. Don't be sorry. But I'm blaming you when I don't eat or sleep for weeks because I'm too busy reading! :)

    You do need more books! But the Mercedes Lackey fairytale series are really, really good. They're not in any particular order, but there's about six. try Phoenix and Ashes or the Fire Rose first.

    What's Sing You Home about? I've onlyreally had any luck with My Sister's Keeper but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great IMM! Enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great collection. I'm currently waiting on "Before I fall" from my local library and thinking about buying the "Divine" series by PC Cast. Looking forward to reading your review on the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sing you Home is about music therapy,which is what made me want to read it as that's what my mum does and what I wanted to do for ages, and also about lesbianism and fertility issues. It's very good. House Rules was actually my favourite of hers so far, but My Sister's Keeper was also brilliant :-) and I know I need more books really. My sister lives by something Terry Pratchett said - 'if you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you'. I currently have all my books on shelves, and she is refusing to talk to me :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice mailbox this week. I hope you like Divine by Mistake, I enjoyed the story a lot. I wound up buying it when the library copy smelled like an ash tray and I couldn't take it anymore. The story already had me sucked in and I just wanted to finish it in peace, so I bought it. I re-read it every once in a while too.
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez