Thursday 21 July 2011

The Time Will Come #5

This is a Thursday meme hosted by Jodie at Books For Company to shine a light on those books we've had on our TBR piles so long that they're practically part of the furniture.

To join in, just post about a book you've been really meaning to read and then hop on over here and link up. I love looking at everyone else's TBR piles, so you can see a full list of the other participants over there too.

Mercedes Lackey is my absolute favourite fantasy writer. She's more than gifted at beautiful descriptions, wonderful characters and unique plots, but for some reason I just haven't got round to Brightly Burning yet.

It might be because I prefer her Elemental Masters series (see my review of The Wizard of London here) but I still like the Valdemar books so it might be time to bump it up the TBR  a little!

3 comments:

  1. I have not read any from her before but I am interested in fixing that. WHat book from her would you highly recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any Mercedes Lackey either, but I hear she's pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jillian - Hmm, where to start?

    She has three man series.

    1) The Elemental Masters series
    This is my favourite series. I guess you could call it urban fantasy, but it's not like the usual YA vampire stuff. They're usually set in the Victorian era, and feature magicians that have control of one particular element. I wrote a review of one called the Wizard of London, but my favourite is Reserved for the Cat.

    2) The Valdemar series
    This is HUGE. There are lots of different mini-series included, but they all involve a group called Heralds, where each person has a Companion - a horse that can communicate only with them, while they travel around solving problems and fighting. I'd start with Arrows of the Queen, which leads on to Arrow's Flight and then Arrows Fall.
    This series is much more 'heavy' fantasy than the Elemental Masters lot, but equally good.

    3) The 100 Kingdoms serie
    These are based around a trainee Fairy Godmother who has to untangle the threads of fairy tale before they hurt those in her village. The first is The Fairy Godmother: A Tale of the Five Hundred.

    Ouch. Sorry for the essay but I love Mercedes Lackey!

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez