Tuesday 14 June 2011

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

The film had better be good. S'all I'm saying.

From LibraryThing - Katniss Everdeen has survived two Hunger Games, only to find her home district bombed to ruin by the Capitol. Airlifted out of the arena of her final Games, she finds herself in the underground, militaristic District 13, run by the enigmatic President Coin. She volunteers, relectunantly, to be the Mockingjay for the rebel movement, as the fate of all the people she loves-- her family, Peeta, Gale-- hangs in the balance.


This is going to be a very difficult review to write. Throughout the majority of the book, I was mentally muttering to myself what a disappointment it was and how it completely lost the point of the previous two, but then... then I cried at the end and wondered if I'd ever read anything so good. Sigh. Bear with me folks.

First of all, it doesn't have the feel of The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, although you can see exactly where Ms Collins has tried to force it. Characters look at each and gasp in shocked tones, "Wow! It's just like The Hunger Games!" just so you can't miss the supposed similarities. If it was a film, you'd have to shoot the screenplay writer for the terrible dialogue. I just didn't care for the whole army-style feel to it - it seemed like every other YA dystopian book out there, which is a shame as these books have always stood on their own feet.

However, Katniss does become a lot more likeable in this book. She irritated me previously because of her complete lack of emotion regarding... well, everything. She murdered people in the arena in the middle of an unfair game and never once considered the moral issues, and took what she wanted from the people who loved her without giving anything in return.  In Mockingjay though, she finally stops pushing people away and starts to be affected by the horrors around her. I particularly liked the points where she realised that the tragedies going on were immoral and unnecessary - it showed how much she'd developed along the way.


My main gripe with this one is the abundance of Gale and a lack of Peeta. Normally I can't stand YA romance as it always feels like it was heaped on with a shovel, but Katniss and Peeta's relationship was so beautifully developed and deep that I wanted to see more of it. Instead, he barely features until the very last page (literally) and Gale's pushy, whiny personality shows up far too much. The lack of focus on their relationshiop is a huge factor in why I didn't like it as much as the others.

By EmpressFunk
I did feel like a lot of the deaths were skated over instead of being dealt with. I know it's a longer book already but surely they could have trimmed down the hours of tramping round army bases to give important characters a good send-off? I'd come to love some of them and felt like they'd been treated unfairly - like Chewie when Princess Leia doesn't give him a medal.

At the end, Katniss uncovers a huge secret behind the rebellion that causes her to act out, but nobody evers questions her afterwards - her actions are just accepted and she's patted on the head and sent on her way. I've read a lot of reviews that talked about how rushed the ending seemed, and I have to agree with them. The author seems to continually have put too much focus on unimportant events and neglected the important ones.

I do admit to crying at the end and getting that Happy Book Fuzz in my stomach. I did enoy the book, it's just that the trilogy seemed to lose its edge here, without any arenas or Games to make it special.

Also, I hate epilogues. Hate them. I just don't care what the characters are doing after they've defeated Lord Voldemort or they've finished fighting the Capitol. I care about the story, not what they name their children. End of.

LATER: I almost forgot. I love that damn cat.

8 comments:

  1. First... I have to say thank you! Your review was simply fantastic because of its thoroughness. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cat too. I really think this is a WONDERFUL review and must say I never write one this good!

    Angie

    XOXO Angela's Anxious Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the ending did feel rushed. Thanks for the Star Wars ref - I totally agree.

    I got so fed up with the war stomping around in this one, particularly as it got so fast-paced, I couldn't keep up with who had died and who was being minced/chased by giant spiders/boiling in a pit of lava etc...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "She murdered people in the arena in the middle of an unfair game and never once considered the moral issues"

    1.None of the characters considered the moral issues. Reason? Decades of brainwashing and control via fear and hunger by the Capitol.

    "and took what she wanted from the people who loved her without giving anything in return."

    2.I don't know what gave you that impression. If you're referring to paying back every little favor she'd received, well, she was a poor orphan. She didn't HAVE anything to give in return, except for a couple o' squirrels every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't a orphan. She only lost one of her parents. But I agree with you otherwise.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel that this book could have a different end. I agree about that Katniss never was questioned by her acts, whether or not was the correct ones. She wants to know every single answer but never wants to give explanations to anyone about her behavior. She just focused on her needs, maybe because of the brainwashing or because she was an immature teenager forced to take a leadership role she didn't ask for or she didn't want it.

    In some parts of the books she acts like a spoiled girl, demanding attention, in some other she struggles with the reality about her condition of being the mockingjay, the symbol of the rebellion.

    She never was the leader she was supposed to be, someone who knows what to do or what the people really expect from her, that was simply beyond of her skills and abilities, she was just there waiting for everyone tells her what to do, what to say...

    I would have wanted to see her in a more active role in the war, fighting for what she really believe, not just watching the events, not just "playing" a character role, like a puppet or whatever the writer pretend...

    At the end she took what "life" gave her... a war, a house, a "boyfriend" who loves her. But also she lost everything. Her dad, sister, and home.

    in that specific part, it seems very realistic when she lost her mind... but when you consider that "everything" happened because of her, because she challenged the hunger games' rules, since the very beginning when she took her sister's place, her actions and behaviors, you could think that she would take a different role... the one who fight against this cruel games, to make things happen for good.

    At the end of the book, you have this feeling like "it could be better..." but thanks God it finishes...

    By the way... someone knows if the last Hunger Games with the sons and daughter of the capital citizens really happened...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how the book was written I like how Peeta lies to save Katness.
    it's well written I also love the movie.

    Irene Alaska Fishing Lodges Prince Of Wales Island

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez