Monday 8 July 2013

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge | Day 1

I know everybody else in the world blogosphere is read-a-thoning this week, but unfortunately I just don't have time, much as I'd love to join in. Today, however, I stumbled across a new and shiny Book Blogger Challenge, hosted by April at Good Books and Good Wine.

I usually only notice these things way after they've finished, so I'm considering it A Sign that I stumbled across it on the very first day.

15 Day Book Blogger Challenge | Good Books And Good Wine 

So, fifteen book-related confessions... Just don't judge me.

1) I hate love triangles. If my book has one, I will pretty much read the entire thing with a weird squinty-cat-face, however much I may love everything else about it.
Exception: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

2) I also hate fairies. Also, changing the spelling makes me hate them more. Faeries and just fairies trying to be clever, folks.
I grew up in Cottingley, home (unsurprisingly) of the Cottingley Fairies.
You be surrounded by fairy tourists for four months of the year and see how many sparkly fae books you want to read.

3) If you break the spine of my book, I will cut you.

4) I do judge people if they don't read. I know this is terrible and I know I have a lot of friends that don't read. I also know that they are not necessarily any less intelligent/sensible/articulate than me. But seriously -  why wouldn't you want to?

5) However, I don't judge people on what they read. Go read Twilight or those Mills & Boon books. It's fine by me, just read something. 
EDIT, a year later: Ha, this isn't true. I totally judge people.

6) I hardly ever go and watch film adaptations of a book I've read. It inevitably annoys me and then, also inevitably, the people around me as I won't shut up about it. It doesn't matter if it looks like a good adaptation because then I'll resent it for replacing the image in my head.

Wow, this is turning into a very grouchy list, isn't it? 

7) Cliffhanger endings annoy me. If you're a decent writer, you don't need to cheapen your book by making an obvious attempt to con people into buying the next one. Lauren Oliver, I'm looking at you.

8) The more I like a book, the more likely I am to check out the last page. People always looked shocked when I say this, but it doesn't ruin the story. For me, it's not the conclusion that's important, it's the journey there. I need to know if my favourite character is going to die so I can mentally prepare myself. I'm not even kidding.

9) I can sit and stare at my bookshelves for ages. It's almost like a meditation focal point. I muse over which books to read next, which books I loved, which books I could get rid of... it's very calming for me!

10) I currently have 62 copies of Pride and Prejudice. I am proud enough to have this fact on my CV.
EDIT, a year later: I actually have 70. Suck on that, 23 year old self!

11) My TBR is arranged in chronological order of when I obtained them, with the oldest being the closest to my bed, so I can see them and therefore read them first. This tactic is vehemently unsuccessful.

12) I keep the receipt from purchasing the book inside it somewhere. This isn't in case I want to return it, but it's fun to find it a few months later and remember where/when you bought it. I also do it with train tickets if I'm reading it on a train or the receipt if I'm reading in a cafe. This isn't even a conscious habit anymore - I just shove whatever paper is in my hand inside the book.

13) Yes, I have lost many important documents this way - rail passes, day travel cards and necessary receipts have all fallen prey.

14) I currently owe £40 at Sheffield Library and so I'm too scared to go back. I borrowed books before I was ill and unsurprisingly nearly dying of measles makes you forget about returning library books...

15) I like owning books. I mean, obviously I read them as well, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that I have a TBR pile of 250+. I have room for them (just!) so why not?


Those were my (grumpy) confessions... what are yours?
 

15 comments:

  1. Oh this looks fun. And I'm not read-a-thonning. Couldn't manage last week's so I'm not doing this week's. Plan to just read as much as I can on my own terms, don't have time for the extra social stuff.

    I've always spelled it faeries. Think it's from my pagan days? And I'm fairly sure it's the proper spelling (like gaol and jail, maybe)?

    Couldn't agree more on the cliffhanger endings. My favourite endings wrap up the story in a nice way and then open up a different thread, enough to intrigue you into reading the next one, but not enough to leave you all, "ARGH BOOK I HATE YOU FOREVER WHAT HAPPENS NOW?! *throws at wall*"

    And here here on number 15! I think of it as a collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, exactly. I DO want to get a lot of reading done, but I'm behind on reviews as it is without trying to keep up with a read-a-thon.

      Actually, it's neither! I know this because I had this conversation with somebody else recently :p It's 'faierie,' a weird combination of the two. I've only ever seen it as 'fairy' until relatively recently though and I know that it was spelt like that in the Victorian era, but I'm not sure about before.

      EXACTLY! A perfect ending should tie up the immediate problems but leave a clear direction for the next book :)

      Delete
  2. I'm not read-a-thoning either since I already did one this summer and don't think it's a good idea for me to "take a break" from work too many times ;-)

    I used to be quite sad that my boyfriend "didn't read" but it turns out I just had to trick him into trying horror and now he is excited to read before sleeping! He's reading World War Z right now and wants to finish it before we see the movie, I never expected that :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, read-a-thons are lethal for that! :)

      The same thing happened to me/us. Lewis, my partner, didn't read before we got together and it didn't 'bother' me exactly... but I'm happier now he does! It's weird - he got hooked on CLASSICS of all things!

      The World War Z film is quite different to the book - be prepared :)

      Delete
  3. I feel like you confessed my own warped grumpy bookish heart! #1 - love triangles: hate them. I don't know about the squinty cat face but I know there is definitely sighing and eye rolling involved.

    #4 I'm a judger too. When someone tells me they don't read, I have to stop myself from saying "I'm sorry" like they have some horrible mental disorder that deserves my pity.

    #5 I am the WORST person to see a movie with if I have read the book. I will explain in detail about how it REALLY happened.

    #7 I hate cliffhangers to the point that I have written bad Dr. Seuss inspired poetry about my disdain for them and proudly posted it on my blog and Facebook.

    #9 My shelves are the focal point of my living room and I often stare at them, rearrange them, touch the books on them, discuss them with visitors, and generally love them.

    Awesomely grumpy confessions! I'm a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. #4 - I KNOW, RIGHT!? Except my genuine, instant response is always "... oh. Why?" because I genuinely DO NOT UNDERSTAND. Apparently this is not an acceptable response to that statement.

      Wow. Capslocky.

      #5 - ... whether they want to hear it or not! And I'll still do it even if I thought the movie version was better (which admittedly is rare), just to point out that I have, in fact, read the book.

      #7 - I know. I love you.

      Whoop! Glad to have you :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE faerie books, but definitely can't blame you for being sick of them. And oh my gosh, I would love to see your 62 P&Ps if you ever decide to take a photo of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks :) I keep meaning to take a photo of them. Watch this space!

      Delete
  5. I agree with judging people who don't read. They can totally sneak it in! It's fine if a book takes you weeks to read. At least you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE BASTARD INTERNET ATE MY COMMENT! In summary "I love you. I culled my faerie books cos they were annoying me even from a distance. I want to try the chronological shelving thing even if I fail. I like staring at my books. Also, I love you." COME ON INTERNET, SECOND TIME LUCKY PLEASE. *copies text just incase*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, it did that to me when I commented on yours yesterday! I texted you, but my comment was much longer and now I'm all sulky!

      *pouts*

      See? Sulky.

      I also love you for the above sentence about fairy books.

      Delete
  7. See, I'd almost reverse 4 and 5... I'd pretty much rather people read nothing than read crap. I mean... There's some really good TV out there these days. Seriously.

    10- Do you really really have this on your CV? I LOVE that so much!

    11- That IS a good plan though. But, sadly, the heart wants what it wants and often the thing that it wants is that book you just bought 5 minutes ago. Sigh.

    15- I do tooooo, but... They're kind of taking over my life/bedroom. But even if I cull now, I know when I have more space, I'll buy more. And it doesn't bother me AT ALL. Besides, every room in a house should have books in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but taking away the content at least they're still improving their vocabulary, spelling, etc. And one day they might move on and read something decent. There is always hope!

      #10 - I do! Under the Hobbies and Interests part. We're always being told that so many people apply for pupillages (612 for the one I interviewed for last week) that you need to have something fun and quirky to make you stick out. They always mention it at interview too :)

      #11 - Haha, I never said it was foolproof :) I've bought a lot of books lately and all I want to do is read those!

      #15 - That's a good (and true) way of looking at it!

      Delete
  8. I do the same thing with books -- the more emotionally invested I am, the more likely I am to read the last page to see if the character makes it through so that I can mentally prep myself.

    Oh my goodness, I love owning books and like you have a ton of unread books.

    ALSO.

    That's the coolest thing that you have 62 copies of Pride And Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwwe to number 9. I don't have nearly as many books as you probably do, but I could still stare at mine for days. I also scroll through my kindle books with the same dopey look of adoration on my face. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez