Saturday 25 February 2012

Review: The League of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

I first picked up The Scarlet Pimpernel in March last year and absolutely adored it. It had history, action, romance, terror, mystery and everything else we stubbornly demand from a good book. I immediately vowed to track down the rest of the books and get them read as soon as humanly possibly. Who knew it was a series? I didn't, and apparently there are seventeen - including two prequels and a spin-off biography. For some unknown reason though, the second book isn't in print even though all the others are - it's just some strange little black hole on the list. Regardless, I ran out and bought the third one, this one... and uhh, read it a full year later :) What can I say, my TBR pile ate it.

More adventures amongst the terrors of revolutionary France. No one has uncovered the identity of the famous Scarlet Pimpernel - no one except his wife Marguerite and his arch-enemy, citizen Chauvelin. Sir Percy Blakeney is still at large however, evading capture... 

This has a slightly different format to the original book, which explains the unfulfilling summary. It's a short story collection, not a novel. Normally that's not my kind of thing but the stories contained are written so beautifully that I was more than able to deal with it.

Unlike the first one, this requires a basic understanding of the French Revolution to really 'get' all of the stories. Primarily, a knowledge of the Reign of Terror and the leading figures, like Marat and Robespierre. You don't need to know all the ins and outs - we covered it in A-level five years ago (*cringes*) and I managed fine and dandy. I think having read The Scarlet Pimpernel first might suffice though. It would make sense without that, but it's a lot more fun if you have :)

The stories themselves contain just the same atmosphere as the original. Nearly all are told from the perspective of a potential victim of the guillotine, living in daily fear of the Committee of Public Safety knocking at their door . Their terror and relief are almost tangible - the point when their rescue has been pulled off is always wonderfully described. Their gratitude and awe rolls off them and out of the pages. It's a wonderful feeling.

I think I'd have liked a little more about the man himself though, and his wife. I really liked Marguerite Blakeney in the original, so it's a shame that she had only a passing mention here. Hopefully she'll pop up again in the later books.

A short review, I know, but I struggle to review short story collections. I would recommend reading it, but definitely start with The Scarlet Pimpernel. Oh, incidentally - I can't help but picture Chris Hemsworth as the Pimp himself. Perhaps without the big-ass hammer though.

2 comments:

  1. I must read The Scarlet Pimpernel. You make it sound so good in your opening paragraph :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you ever watch the BBC series with Richard E. Grant back in '99?

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez