Sunday 27 November 2011

In My Mailbox #17


These two piles make me ridiculously happy, especially the one on the left (on my Iron Man blanket, cause I'm clearly a cool kid). It's a slight over-reaction as you'd think I'd won the lottery instead of buying books, but hey ho. I haven't had any money for the longest, longest time though - I had to leave work for health reasons and the council dragged its feet about my disability benefits claim... but finally, here we are!

I've spent the last four months living off hand-outs from my parents and partner, so I've gotten used to not spending a whole lot of money. That in mind, I didn't really feel the need to splurge massively but I still couldn't resist buying books. I limited myself to £20, so I don't think the pile on the left is such a bad deal.

I was nearly sick with excitement when they came though. Literally. I wish the Book Depository sent them all in one big box like Amazon does, but I do like the varied, informative bookmarks that accompany them. Hakuna Matata!

Just in case you can't see, I ordered The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. It's the second book in the new Percy Jackson Roman mythology series. I don't like them as much as the previous set, but I'm sure it's still worth reading.

The other four are a nice set of reds and pinks and look lovely all nicely lined up (I did tell you I was over excited). Northanger Abbey was the only Jane Austen book I hadn't read and now I have the correct edition to match my others. I'm obsessive like that. I've read some awful reviews of Bumped but I love the premise too much to not buy it. I think it was £3 or so anyway, so I'd have felt like I was rudely slighting it if I didn't cave in. I've wanted to read Rivers of London for what feels like forever - I noticed it right after I left my job so I couldn't justify the purchase, but it's been calling to me ever since. Then the last book I bought is Positively by Courtner Sheinmel. It's quite an obscure one, I think, but it's about a little girl dealing with the stigma of being HIV positive with her father's new family.

The pile on the right consists of three library books and one swap. After a gruelling hour in physiotherapy, naturally you visit the library to collapse on a sofa and wait for your bus, but is it quite so natural to pick up the heaviest three books to take home with you? Moron. Those three are Retromancer by Robert Rankin, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot and The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan.

I'm not really sure why I picked that last one up - I already have it on my Kindle! Moron strike #2. I'd just finished my current book so I needed something to read on the way home, but did it really have to be a hardback version of a book I already had? I've wanted to read Henrietta Lacks for forever and a day though and it's been out of stock every previous visit so I don't regret that too much.

I couldn't get along with Retromancer though - I loved the premise but loathed the writing style and dialogue. I'm not going to review it because I didn't get far enough in to make it worthwhile but I won't be finishing it.

Finally, I swapped an old book for Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin on ReaditSwapit. God I love that website. As far as I can remember without (God forbid) actually leaning across the bed to pick it up, it involves a girl who dies in an accident and is sent to the afterlife where people get younger? Sounds about right.

Anyway, so those are my books! What did you get this week? Were you as hysterically over-excited as I was?

14 comments:

  1. I love Rick Riordan's books! I really have to catch up with his books, I haven't even started the Last Olympian series...

    New follower!

    Here's my IMM. You might also like to join in the Best of the Bunch book awards, pick your favourite read from November and attach your link to the award post on 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was, I was!! And apparently something has already turned up at Dan's dad's place and we aren't moving until the 12th *grabby hands to see what it is!* I'm expecting a couple of things from Simon & Schuster, Berkley, Catnip.. err.. a giveaway book I won.. some bookmarks (K.C. Neal is so so so lovely I swear to god).. Maybe Mira? I don't even know what's going to turn up and what isn't until I get there!! *flails*

    But yes, you're IMM, not mine. Got it. This may be a silly question but.. why not carry your Kindle around so you don't have to drag home 3 big heavy hardbacks? ;) Just a thought.. you know. And oh my god Rivers of London!! Can't wait for your review. I've heard fantastic things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got absolutely nothing this week :-( but I did move house, and am actually worried that I need to address my book acquiring as a serious problem... at one point today I was literally standing with an entire armful of books - we're talking so many I had to prop the pile up with my chin - and worrying that I didn't have enough... Obviously crazy!

    Anyway, I'm still getting hold of the first Percy Jackson series after you got me the first one, and I love them, so I will probably just keep reading till I run out! Also want to read The Immortal LIfe of Henrietta Lacks as I keep reading good things about it and my big ambition for next year is to read more non-fiction. (I've actually started two non - fiction books this week, both of which are really interesting, but I got distracted because I picked up Mort by Terry Pratchett which I've not read in years... ah Sir Terry and his infinite powers of distraction...)

    Anyway, enough rambling! Very excited for you and your piles of books! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, this is Bex by the way. For some reason my Google Account has stopped letting me comment under a name anybody recognises!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what I often wonder? Why libraries always stock huge hardbacks that take up loads of space. My nearest library is pretty small and I get frustrated by chunky versions taking up tons of space that could be filled with a better selection. Also, they don't get that much funding (I imagine) and paperbacks would be way cheaper if both are available...sorry, I'm not supposed to be ranting about hardbacks at libraries, am I?!

    I bought Henrietta Lacks a few weeks ago but haven't or round to it. I'm toying with the idea of saving it until next year and using it for Ellie's Mixing It Up Challenge somehow...will be interested to see what you think, of course!

    Rivers of London has such a pretty spine! I'm not sure what it's about (and am using my phone and I can't face googling alongside comment writing!) but it sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Hannah - books have already turned up in Wales? Haha, that's brilliant! I'd have set off WALKING down there, I'd be that excited!

    And I do carry my Kindle around! My batteries had died. That's what I meant when I said I'd finished my book... so obviously I said something completely different instead. As you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Bex - Haha, propping them up with your chin like Gus from Cinderella with the cheese!? At least if they're you're own books, not books you were planning to buy, that's okay!

    I had a quick flick through Henrietta Lacks and it looks fairly accessible, which is always good for a non-fiction. I used to read quite alot of non-fiction but I've slacked off this year. Ah well, call it a target for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @LAB - I always worry you think I'm calling you a labrador when I type that...

    Anyway, I agree with you about hardback books. I can only think it's because they buy the popular books when they first come out so hardbacks are the only choice. Or maybe they were donated by people who didn't want the huge hardbacks on THEIR bookshelves? :p

    Rivers of London is about a policeman who gets sucked into crimes involving wizards and magic in London. Perhaps also something to do with some kind of Agency? It sounds brilliant... or it would if I could remember exactly WHAT sounded brilliant...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I KNOW! Originally we were going on the 1st so I told a few publishers that. Then we decided on the 9th, after my birthday, then when Dan said we'd go on the 12th I was like ... !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, look at all the shiny pretty books! I think my review of 'Bumped' was probably one of the awful reviews you read, oops. I like those Austen paperbacks though - I read 'Persuasion' in that edition and it was the first time it felt like I was just reading a good book, instead of reading a Classic with a capital C, if you see what I mean...

    If it's any consolation, I'm still on crutches and haven't even HAD my first physio appointment yet, but I'm still determined to go across to Chesterfield on Tuesday (sans crutches) and visit Waterstones and The Works, AND go to the awesome library and get my annual 'full 16' books to read over the winter. I have no idea how I'm going to make it back across town with all those books without something going horribly wrong, but if I manage it it'll be worth it! :)

    Oh, and I totally get what you mean about BD's separate parcel thing. I love unpacking a far-too-large Amazon boxful, it's like Christmas! Wheeee!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Rivers of London - its cover is amazing, a hand-drawn, fun map of part of London. I spent ages just looking at the detail, things like: "One of the homes of the expensive family" (Buckingham Palace) and "Tourists!" Made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great haul this week! I Love Rick Riordan!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Ellie - Haha, I was thinking of your review but don't forget I predicted you weren't going to like it! I meant 'awful' as in 'negative,' by the way, not 'badly-written.' Just to clarify :)

    Yes, that's why I like those Austen editions. They're ladylike and pretty, but seem like anything else you could pull off the shelf, classic or not.

    Physio hurts. S'all I'm saying. Oh I like Chesterfield - I can always find something in their Waterstones!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank heavens for that! I didn't even think about it meaning AWFUL... :P

    Those Austens ARE pretty, aren't they? Makes reading the classics a little less daunting and a little more like regular reading.

    Not really looking forward to physio, though in '40 minutes, but it might not even take that long' I'm not sure how much pain they can inflict this first time.

    My Chesterfield haul will be up for IMM on Sunday - nothing from Waterstones (*gasp*) because I ran out of time, but there's 10 books from the library, 4 from The Works, 2 from the supermarket and a bunch more besides. Oooooops.

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez