Tuesday 27 September 2011

Top Ten Tuesday - Books I Want To Reread

Top Ten Tuesday icon

1) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
I have to admit that this is my least favourite of the Harry Potter books - I can't explain why, it just is. But after investing far too many hours into the Lego version of the game on the 360 (100% completion though! :D), I kind of want to re-read it. LibraryThing tells me I haven't read it in the last five years, so why not?


2)  The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
I read Elizabeth Kostova's latest book, The Swan Thieves, earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. The Historian is of a very similar style, and I last read it back in 2006, so it's about due for a re-read. I've also read Dracula recently, so I'm 'dying' to read some more vampiric legendary!

3) The Belgariad by David Eddings
This is actually a series of five books, beginning with Pawn of Prophecy. These were the first 'adult' books I ever read and kindled my still active love for fantasy. I have reread them but I have no idea when. Too long ago, at any rate.


4) The Word and the Void by Terry Brooks
This is another fantasy series, but of a very different vein to the above. It starts with Running with the Demon and revolves around Nest Freemark, a young girl who's forced to spend her days hunting spirits. It sounds fairly cliché, but it's not. It's far from your typical 'girl has new powers and must fight evil' drivel. I last read it in 2009 although it seems longer.


5) The Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings
This is the same author who wrote The Belgariad series, but it's a stand-alone and it much more recent. I haven't read it in such a long time that I can barely tell you what it's about, other than there's a shape-shifting cat and some form of battle. Perfect summary right there.
Book cover of The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde 

6) The Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde
I don't even need to look up when I last read these books because it's pretty much constant. I adore them. The first one is The Eyre Affair, and if you haven't read it already, you're missing out. Thursday Next is a Juris-fiction Agent, which means she can jump into books and sort out the behind-the-scenes squabbles between book characters. These are probably the books I've read more than any other, but I still want to re-read them.


7) Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
This is probably the wrong motivation for wanting to re-read a book, but I want to do so to see if it's as bad as I first thought. I first read it in 2006, right after reading Pride and Prejudice (which I adored), so I'd have been about sixteen. It just didn't compare in my view, so I want to see if I like it more now that I've grown up a bit more and I'm more widely read.


8) I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
I have absolutely no idea when I last read this, so it must have been more than five years ago. I remember liking it but thinking it was really different from the film. Actually, maybe this would be a good one to use for the Books to Movie Challenge.

9) Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
I've seen The Time-Traveller's Wife on a lot of lists today, but I reread that last year and so now I want to go through her second book again. I only read it for the first time in 2010, but I actually prefer it to the other.

10) The Princess Bride by William Goldman
I've seen this on quite a few blogs lately so I've been wanting to reread this for a while. I'm not too keen on the film, but the novel has to be one of my all time favourites. 

5 comments:

  1. I came over to read your list (which is a good one!) but I see something much more important that we share...

    I also have ME and a book blog - looks like we have a lot in common! I live in the US and have had ME/CFS for 9 years. Both of my teen sons have it also.

    I write a blog about living with ME/CFS:
    www.livewithcfs.blogspot.com

    I also write two book blogs:
    www.greatbooksforkidsandteens.com
    www.bookbybook.blogspot.com

    Nice to "meet" you!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read many of these, but if they are good enough to reread, they must be good for first time reads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh The Princess Bride! I read that a long time ago, it's definitely due for a re-read!


    Ta!
    >>my T10T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've put Harry Potter on my list too, though I would love to reread the whole series from start to finish! I heard many great things on the Belgariad and still haven't read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love The Historian, if I'd done this list it would've been on it. I never finished The Swan Thieves though... Something distracted me about half way through and now I can't remember what happened so will have to start again, which is a shame as it was one of those books I just had to have right this minute.... :-P when I was younger I had a serious David Eddings moment, and I'd actually totally forgotten about The Redemption of Althalus until I read your list just now! I'm not even sure if I own it anymore, as I gave up on Eddings midway through The Elder Gods series because of his serious overuse of the phrase 'be nice'. Still not read The Belgariad though, and my sister loves it too so I'll probably give it a go at some point. You know that point in time where you have nothing else you want or need to read and you actually get round to reading any of the stuff on all these lists you make? It's not happened yet but I live in hope :-P

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez