Sunday 7 August 2011

In My Mailbox #8


This week has been my 22nd birthday week, and so naturally resulted in a lot of books and book-related presents. There's nothing quite as heart-wrenching as watching a 6"3, bearded, tattooed, sighing man traipsing round after a happy 5"4 fairy (well, the pink hair and a cream lacy dress made one little girl tell me I looked like one anyway) with a resigned expression and huge bags of books.

Anyway this is the resulting damage -

Birthday books:

 I was given Chances as one of those 'we know you read stuff, but we don't, so here's a random book' gifts. Don't get me wrong, I've had some really great books I've ended up loving... but I don't think this will be one of them. 



I've been collecting all the Agatha Christie books in these editions (I think it's called the Masterpiece edition?) for a while now, so my Mum bought me these. Nemesis is a Miss Marple, Curtain: Poirot's Last Case is a Poirot (funny that) but Passenger to Frankfurt is a stand-alone. I do prefer the Poirot books because Miss Marple has a tendency to sit around and then smile smugly at the end going "Yes dear, I knew that."


These three were part of the pre-shopping spree book buying trip on Tuesday. I've said it before, but I really do love Sheffield Waterstones. It's just so neat and big and nicely ordered... mmm. Anyway, these were on a 3 for 2 offer and I've had them all on my wishlist for a long time, especially How To Be A Woman. Bex from An Armchair By The Sea was raving about it, and I know Ellie mentioned it over at Musings of a Bookshop Girl too, so I desperately wanted it too!


It just wouldn't be a birthday without at least one edition of Pride and Prejudice. I collect them, as you can probably see from the photo in the middle. I know it's kind off odd, but there are worse habits. The edition on the left came from HMV, who actually have a massive range of cheap classics. The other is actually a graphic novel version (excitement!) which I found in one of the many comic book shops in Leeds :)


I didn't actually get the Kindle for my birthday, but I did get the case and skin. It's absolutely beautiful! I don't know if you can see it or not, but it's a really colourful bookshelf design, and every single book on there has it's own title. Gelaskins do a massive range of awesome covers, but I love this one.

Then last but not least, Musings of a Bookshop Girl sent me a £10 Amazon voucher, pretty much just because she's awesome like that. Hi Ellie! *waves*

Swapped:

I have to admit that this series has never really interested me much, but another user requested a swap on Read it Swap it (here's my list) for a book I've been trying to get rid of for ages, so I chose this one. I'm willing to give it a go :)

Bought:

I seem to be having a graphic-novel orientated week, but never mind. This is Fables: Book One. This series is absolutely huge. The book above has issues 1-10 but there are 107 to date, I think. It's lovely though, all hardback and pristine. 

The idea is that under New York has a magically camouflaged area called Fabletown where all the proper fairytale characters live - Snow White, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks, etc - and the books chronicle how they cope with our mundane reality.

Comic book fair:

We went to a comic book fair in Leeds Town Hall on Saturday. It was pretty good actually - much cheaper than expected and each stall had tons of stuff. Halfway round though, I did realise that I was wandering innocently round in a t-shirt than said 'Read Books Instead!' Oops...


I adore The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - who wouldn't want to watch a bunch of classic fictional characters run round fighting a classic fictional baddie? I love the film but I wasn't even aware there was a second volume until last week. Since then, I've checked a load of places and they all had it for £15-£22 so I figured I'd wait a bit. I couldn't believe it when one of the stalls at the comic book fair had it for £6.95. The stall holder may have been slightly surprised at my horrible squeal but at least he didn't refuse purchase through fear.

The other picture is of the ten comics I bought. I think I'm going through a comic phase at the minute, but the artists of most are so talented. Three are later issues of the Fables graphic novel above and another two are an Alice in Wonderland spin-off. Then there's four issues of The Death of Spider-Man and a psuedo-newspaper (on real paper and everything!) of last year's Civil War arc.

Library:
  
Not only did Sheffield library actually manage to have the first in a series for a change, they also had the second and, get this... they were right next to each other. What's next? Books arranged by alphabetical order!?

For review:
 

This is Black Swan Rising. It was sent to me by Transworld Publishers who very nicely offer to send another book when you've sent a link to them with the review of this one.

So that's that. I finally finished Ill Met By Moonlight (review here) which has been taking me ages so I can't wait to get started on this lot!

14 comments:

  1. You're lucky in South Yorkshire! Leeds City Council cleverly decided that the alphabet was passé and my local library is organised according to 'popularity', vague genre concepts and other readers' recommendations...inspired...Enjoy your birthday haul! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Lit Addicted Brit - Oh don't worry - I know ALL about Leeds Library :| I half live in Sheffield, half in Leeds so I visit both libraries. My biggest amusement on Leeds library was when I noticed they'd chosen to file the baby name books in the non-fiction history section...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I think I know of a Pride and Prejudice cover you don't own looking at your shelf :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowowow! A lot of books, lucky you!
    Happy birthday, for the day it was this week! Hope you had a great week!

    I just put up my in my mailbox for this week:
    http://wordsontheshelf.blogspot.com/2011/08/in-my-mailbox-3.html

    Mazz @ Words on the self
    @MazzNixon

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Hannah - I'm not surprised - a large portion of them did come from charity shops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, new follower. Nice haul! You have some great reads there! Happy Birthday! If you can, please stop by my IMM: Pawing Through Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh DIVERGENT is fantastic! I absolutely loved it.

    Here's what's in my mailbox this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your Kindle skin!!

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. First off, happy belated birthday! :)

    LOTS of great books you got! I've been meaning to read Divergent at some point... Let me know how that Fallen series is.. I've seen it around but haven't had an inkling to try it out yet either..
    What's the Read It Swap It site? Sounds interesting!

    Anyway, here's my IMM! --> http://wp.me/pAblM-l3

    ReplyDelete
  10. @justalillost - Read it Swap it is a UK book swapping site where you can list the books you don't want anymore and then other people offer up a list of their own books if you have one they want. It's great and I've gotten so many books I wanted from there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also meant to say: is that the element encyclopedia of magical creatures I spy? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Hannah - it is, well spotted! :) I'll get a proper bookshelf photo done one day, I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that series to bits! Have that one on my shelf.. well.. I say shelf, it's near the shelf. Counts, right?

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez