Sunday 24 July 2011

In My Mailbox #6


Well I've had an amazing week for books this week! I'll never, ever have time to read them all, but for now I'm happy just gazing at them and occasionally giving them a quick lick.

From Amazon:


Ah, these still make me smile when I look at them. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and The Scarlet Letter are Vintage edition (you know, the ones with the red spines), because I'm trying to collect the large majority of my classics in Vintage. 20,000 isn't pictured on my TBR shelf above because I read it in February, so it's already with my other Vintage books.

I've started reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children already, and it's amazing. Such a beautiful book too, in hardback with excellent quality paper and creepy photographs. I suspect it might become one of my favourite books of this year.

Forgotten is YA, but for some reason seems strangely hard to get hold of. Waterstones had it, but it was double the price of Amazon, and you know how that story ends...

I'm not usually a celebrity autobiography fan, but I read Stephen Fry's Making History novel (my review is here) and he writes very, very well. He seems to have led a vaguely interesting life (wasn't he in prison at one point?) and I'd love to know more about his friendship with Hugh Laurie.


From charity shops:


You know what you should do when you've just ordered a million books from Amazon, right? Immediately head out to the nearest charity shop in search of more.


 It's especially important to buy books you've already read. I mean, why wouldn't you buy books you've already read this year and therefore won't be rereading for a couple of years more?

To be fair though, I really enjoyed Carrie Fisher's autobiography when I borrowed it from the library (my review is here) so I was more than willing to pay £1 for it. The Other Boleyn Girl is my least favourite of Philippa Gregory's books, but I have all the others and I didn't want it to get lonely...

The End of Mr. Y though, I feel fully justified in buying. There's a new charity shop just opened in Saltaire, and it's really, really cheap. This was 50p for a brilliant condition, huge book. My only problem with that shop is they have a huge fish tank and I'm petrified of fish (yes, I know.) But Bex from An Armchair by the Sea raves about it constantly and I'm perfectly happy to lose 50p in return for what sounds like a brilliant book.

From a second hand book stall:



 This market stall is pretty much the reason I moved back home! They have a huge selection of all types of books for really reasonable prices.

In addition to all my other 'collections,' I'm working on getting all the Agatha Christies in the edition pictured above. I think I have about 30 of them, so I'm doing okay. They're all in perfect condition too, so I was really pleased (read: overly excited) so find a brand new The Labours of Hercules on the stall.

I'll be honest, I have absolutely no idea what Evermore is. I'd never heard of it before but it looked interesting so I grabbed it. I did read the back but now it's gone clean out of my mind!

I do like Philippa Gregory. I've heard she takes liberties with certain historical facts but what author doesn't? Her characters are always believable and she takes care not to use 21st century phrases; that's a huge no-no for me with historical fiction. This was £1 and I love the history of Richard III and Henry VI so there was no way I wasn't eventually going to buy this.

From ReaditSwapit:

God I love that website. Clockwork Angel has been on my wishlist for a while, but I hadn't got round to requesting it for a swap. As a pleasant surprise though, a swapper requested one of my books and this just happened to be on their book list. It's brand new too.

Sophie Kinsella's books are my secret shame; I really do enjoy them. I have a couple of the shopaholic ones left to read, but this is a stand-alone. 

As a R.A.K/early birthday present/general nice thing to do:


 Don't you just love that cover? This was sent to me by (again) Bex at An Armchair by the Sea, pretty much just because she's an awesome person. It's been on my wishlist for a while, but she spotted it and popped a copy in the post!

Those are all the books I've received, although there are a lot more that haven't arrived yet! Time to stop typing and start reading, I think...

12 comments:

  1. I loved Evermore!! And Sophie Kinsella and Cassandra Clare are among some of my favorite authors!!! I hope you enjoy their books and everything else you got this week! Here's my IMM if you want to check it out! Happy reading!

    -Jessica (Peace Love Books)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great set! So cool that you got Clockwork Angel and Forgotten. I liked Evermore too.
    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing up that same cover of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I haven't read it yet, and that cover looks awesome.

    As for Stephen Fry, though I haven't read it yet I recommend 'Moab Is My Washpot' - my boyfriend listened to the audiobook last year and adored it, it's his biography, apparently the Chronicles are a continuation of Washpot.

    I also found The End of Mr Y in a charity shop! It caught my eye on the shelf and I had to have it. Scarlett's other books look fantastic too. Our Tragic Universe, I think it's called, looks like a great read.

    The one Gregory Tudor book I'm missing is The Virgin's Lover, hopefully I'll get my hands on it sometime and get around to reading the rest. I've only read The Constant Princess but that was a nice read, I love Tudor history. Is it any wonder I loved that one?

    Once Upon A Time

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Hannah - that 20,000 Leagues only came out in May, and I should know, I was stalking it for ages! I'd read it before though. I really like it, although the huge lists of fish can get a bit annoying!

    Oh right, I didn't know Moab Is My Washpot was autobiographical too. I'll have a quick look at it in a second.

    There seems to be a lot of them knocking round in charity shops, but I heard that people either love it or hate it. I've never read any of her others although I heard this was the best.

    Ah, the Virgin's Lover was the second book I bought, but it's one of her best. My first was the Queen's Fool, which I bought pretty much only because her name was Hannah! I love the Tudors too, I always think of it as 'my' period lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'The End of Mr Y' is a strange one; a good book but certainly strange. It is handy, though, if you've been slacking off in quantum physics! Happens to the best of us...Hope you enjoy it - I'll definitely be interested to read what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first was The Other Queen because I found it in The Works - the rest are second hand! I even grabbed The Wise Woman which I don't think is usually counted but eh, tis in my list! I really should read them soon, trying to read through some giveaway books, RAKs, one book for review, library books *sheepish* and of course the steampunk books for my hopefully future blog feature!
    I say I'll be free then but I'm always inventing new to read lists for myself, I'm awful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A few of those are on my to read pile also... Ive read evermore I'm on the 4th book in that series. Thanks for sharing please check out my IMM if you have time :) http://melissa-justoneopinion.blogspot.com/2011/07/imm-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a nice list of books in your mailbox this week. Forgotten has been popping up a lot lately.
    Happy Reading,
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay you bought Scarlett Thomas!! :-D you must let me know what you think about it. Also love Philippa Gregory -The Red Queen is good, The White Queen was better in my opinion though... Agatha Christie is my absolute favourite crime writer ever, she's just brilliant beyond words, and I also secretly love Sophie Kinsella :-) you got loads of books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh oh I forgot! The Fry Chronicles was great too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Bex - Haha, I bought both Scarlett Thomas and the Fry Chronicles based on your recommendations. You have a scary, scary influence on me! :p Not forgetting you send me two of the above books...

    I love Philippa Gregory too. The only one I wasn't fond of was the Other Queen. Who is the White Queen about again?

    I need to take a picture of my Agatha Christie collection - they look so pretty all lined up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww I feel important now! :-P Well i'm reading How to be a Woman at the moment,which you sent me so it works both ways lol The White Queen is about Elizabeth Woodville...it kind of runs parallel to The Red Queen :-)

    ReplyDelete

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez