Sunday 12 June 2011

Hanna's Saturday Wishlist #4

Like most of you, I have a wishlist the length of the Nile or, at the very least, the River Severn. It's long. Most of them will never see the light of day as they were added on a whim or a reading phase I've gotten bored of, or have been so trampled on by the newer additions that they languish on page eight, completely forgotten about.

However, Carolyn from Book Chick City has a solution to make all those neglected wishlistees feel loved again. Each week, she posts a few of those books that one day (one day, God damn it!) she wi
ll eventually buy.

I have as much guilt over not yet introducing those unloved tomes to my shelves as anyone, so here's part #4 of my now-weekly Wishlist. These are three books that I might have eventually got round to owning by 2019. Maybe.


 This is Battle Royale by Koushun Takami, and it's pretty much The Hunger Games for grown-ups.  I do suspect that Ms Collins got the general concept for her books from here, although obviously there are a huge number of differences.


A group of Japanese children are shipped off to an arena where they're forced to kill each other. The last one standing wins. Sound familiar?

I've seen the film and it's brutal. Definitely not YA!


Divergent by Veronica Roth


I've been seeing reviews of this on YA book blogs for a while now, but for some reason I just instantly decided it wasn't for me and skipped it without even reading the synopsis. Because, you know, it's always a good idea to judge a book on it's title.


For some reason though, I actually took the time to look at it the other day, and you know what? It looks damn good.


Grace Williams Says It Loud by Emma Henderson


This is told from the POV of Grace, an eleven year old with severe disabilities who is packed off to the Briar Mental Institute. As Grace slowly realises she is not like other people, she adapts to life inside the Institute and helps her famly come to terms with her illness.


It does look like a misery memoir, but it's not - I have absolutely zero interest in those things. Apparently the author's sister was severely disabled and the book is based on her childhood memories of the struggles that accompanied accepting her illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab my Button

Booking in Heels
 

Booking In Heels Copyright 2008 Fashionholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Supported by Tadpole's Notez